- Skilled diplomat/tactician – addressing political situations and or conflict.
- Counsellor/devil’s advocate – being able to come up with reasons not to follow a particular path.
- Problem Analyst – being able to solve problems efficiently and effectively.
- Technical wizard – having a specific and specialised skill which is required at the time.
- Project manager – managing a project on behalf of the client or simply managing the consulting project/intervention.
- Interim executive/contractor – being asked to fulfill a line role within the clients organization.
- Facilitator – Workshop, learning or team facilitator.
- Other roles – Coach, Mentor, Advisor, Expert, Strategist, Teacher
Reputation of Management Consultants
- Good or bad experiences with consultants in the past.
- Consultants can be their own worst enemies due to behaviour or arrogance.
- Client does not always know how to measure value because this is an intangible service where perceptions may rule.
- Consultant does not always meet client expectations. This can be due to a lack of clarification or poor communication.
How does this relate to the concept of “professionalism”?
Required Capabilities & Competencies
A consultant needs to have a broad range of competencies which are grouped according to the international competence framework.
- The ability to consult and advise decision makers
- General management competencies and a deep understanding of how businesses operate
- Specialist competencies which include specific functional and sectoral competencies
- Personal and Interpersonal and communication skills (listening/verbal/written) EI
- Marketing, influencing, rapport building and selling skills
- Project and team management skills
- Professionalism and ethics (the ability to build trust) and the related behaviours
- Practice management skills (at least knowledge of the commercial aspects of consulting)
- Continuous Self Development and keeping up-to-date with current events and trends
- Quick on their feet and action orientated
- Suitably qualified in the area in which he/she consults